Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Derek's Birthday, Summer 2012

Hello blog world. Long time no see. On June 10, Derek celebrated 32 years. A quiet day at home with our regular routine so the kids would be in good moods was about all we did, it was enjoyable.  Brooklyn is still at the age where she doesnt want to sit still for anything, so we passed on even going out to eat.

The next thing that we have decided is that I should return to school and complete my degree.  I kept googling my online schooling options because, like it is right now, from about 1-4 each day I have so much down time while the kids nap - I HAVE to be quiet because the our house is small so I figured these are prime reading conditions, might as well read something that will educate me, right? RIGHT!  The program is through Cal State Fullerton, and you can read more about it here.

This little "plan" of mine all started after we decided to send both kids 1/2 days to preschool 2xs a week. I love having the free time to do whatever the heck I feel - even if it means nothing.  But then I've been mulling around "We are home 90% of the time. The kids are playing, laundry is drying and what am I doing with myself? NOTHING. I love to read, I am a good candidate for some free money to help finance college....hmmmm..."

When I was attending college, I wasnt sure what the heck I wanted to do with myself. At first I wanted Business Administration but I'm terrible at math and it showed in the pre-req classes. Maybe if I had the drive I have today I could conquer those stupid accounting classes again, but my best grades were a few sociology classes I've taken so I figured this was a sign. We'll see. By the end of the month they need to tell me whether or not I'm accepted.

The program starts at the end of August which I am in great anticipation for, hope I am not let down.  I feel like its a great option because 100% of it is online (the only thing that requires attendance is graduation and by golly I will show up for that!) and its slow enough - 18 units a year/3 year program. I would graduate in the summer of 2015, seems far away but I can tell you, 3 years flew by with Bobby, so I dont feel like 3 years is really all that long anymore. Our long term plan is this:

Derek works a minimum of 9-10 hours each day, most weeks its 6 days a week.  At the rate he is going, in order for us to get ahead of where we are (buy another home, vacation in the bahamas, etc..) he would need to maintain this type of work schedule from now til who knows.  Also, since Brooklyn will be turning 5 the year I graduate from this program, when she enters kindergarten, I will be able to seek out a job that hopefully allows Derek to maintain his schedule, and then allow me to work as well while both kids attend elementary school (unless of course budget cuts get worse and they make the high school K-12 lol).  Unfortunately (or fortunately lol) we have also concluded that we are probably not going to have any more kids. We feel over loaded as it is, and I know what's coming...bigger bills than just buying wipes and diapers LOL

In anticipation of our kids wanting to pursue activities (soccer - which starts tomorrow for Bobby!) etc., Derek needs to be able to have more flexibility with work.  We tossed around the idea of me getting some random job or returning to Costco, but some random job or Costco would force me to work crummy hours in the beginning which I am not in a place to do anytime soon. Soooo...what I'm hoping for is, Derek can work less as we age, and I work to make up for what he is doing less if not more.  This way: 1) He can be more picky about his jobs; 2) My new career can help take the burden off of his shoulders; and 3) We have a back up plan because as of right now we just dont have any plan. Like I said, this is the "plan" right now, who knows if I'm even accepted. If I'm not, well, then back to the drawing board.

Anyhoo, thats about all thats cooking over here. Here's a few pictures. Brooklyn has been terribly sick with this, and today is the first day since Saturday she has taken a nap longer than 30 minutes. Poor kid.

Let the summer begin...