Sunday, April 17, 2011

La Jolla 5k

So today was our "big race day" for the La Jolla 5k. Derek has not been prepping much for today's run, and I've been consistently logging miles for the past 3 months (with no intention of breaking any records).

Unfortunately, we received an email about a week prior to the race that no strollers were allowed on the course - - sorry kids, you have to stay behind on this one. Thankfully the kids were able to go stay with my mom this morning while Derek and I did our little run. We are not elite runners by any means, but we do like to go for a jog...with the kids in tow of course.

Our results:

Derek's mile pace: 7:24, Total time: 22:57. Place for his age group: 7 out of 47

Janine's mile pace: 8:30, Total time: 26:23. Place for my age group: 10 out of 92


We are quite proud of our modest results. I have to say that my first mile was the fastest mile I've ran since probably high school!!! The little lady on the side line yelled out "8 minutes!!!" when I crossed my first mile. I was thrilled. The course starts off for about 1/2 mile downhill, then finishes with about 3/4 of the final mile uphill, with the last 1/4 or so downhill.

That last hill is always a fight. Yuck!!!

Great way to start off the new week....Happy Spring Break/Easter everyone!!!