Monday, July 21, 2014

Phase 1

Pictures of our unused waste of space aka the backyard



Our beloved doghouse which relocated to my mother-in-law's house 



The excavator aka a really big shovel 


Papa, Derek, and Jerry (who's helping us run the job as owner builder - thank goodness)


The bobcat shoveling more dirt out of the yard


About 6 hours of work done is pictured below





Enormous rocks that have now become part of the pool because there's just no way we are going to pay for dynamite to remove them, they actually look pretty cool



 Toward the end of the 12 hour work day




Kids back home seeing the almost finished pool





"Oh mom! Can I go on the rock!?!"



Phase 1 of digging the pool is almost done. We would have been if we wouldnt have ran into so many G-D rocks! And I dont mean little tiny ones, or even medium sized ones, I mean giant boulders! Ughhhhhhh then as we get deeper we start scraping decomposed granite, oh joy. We've had to change the layout of the pool along the way, and hopefully today we really figure out where our deep end is going to be. Its an extremely messy, hard project. Me, Derek, Bob, heck anyone that had arms was outside yesterday using a shovel to help scrape edges, smooth sides, and move dirt so the bobcat could access everything easily.  We've had to inconvenience a neighbor to get the machinery in the back, had to have our dog inside all day long (who leaves me "presents"), and help entertain the guys working (food, drinks, bathroom etc..) so I have to be around for certain times/days. 

Poor Derek literally has not had a break from working for 8 days straight (today makes 9 straight), and left about an hour ago for his regular work day.  As owner builder, you have to help as needed (to save on costs) but dang - its hard to manage when you have a regular job. I wish there was more I could do but with the kids and stuff, I'm limited.  

To get rid of all the dirt, we have these dumpster looking trucks which the bobcat goes racing through the neighbors yard to the street to unload. Its been pretty neat to experience and see how all this construction works.  We are all however, stressed out to the max and thankfully my mother-in-law fed our family dinner last night because I absolutely had no plan!

I hope today (which was not planned) goes much more smooth (and they're arent here as long), we finalize all the digging and move on to the next step.