Monday, April 30, 2012

Window Removal by Yours Truly


Our house is a mess. There's just no way around it.  I spend alot of time doing what I want, then doing what is needed and I need to re-prioritize. My last post about 2 weeks ago was the finale of our entry door. We have so much left to do, and if we continue at the pace we are going we will be 50 when its all done.  I leave most of the stuff that's construction related up to Derek, but I got a wild hair up my butt (or actually maybe more like an annoyed hair up my butt) and took matters into my own hands this morning.  I've also discovered how incredibly strong I am (not bragging but just saying, I've put in alot of time to lifting so I'm taking advantage of my hard work.)

I dragged the kids and myself up to the Ransom Brothers in town (a smaller Home Depot) - they are great!  I get a little annoyed when I walk into a store that is more of a "man's" place - as if... AS IF I dont know what I'm doing! HELLO DO THEY KNOW WHO THEY ARE TALKING TOO! Its not like I parade in there with full make up, high heels and a dress on - no, rather I come in, no make up, Derek's work clothes, (maybe a sport bra if you're lucky) raggedy old dirty shoes, and coffee breath - guess that's not appealing either because they dont want to kiss my butt and help, they just look at me like the walking trash can I am and ask me if I need help - probably to hurry up and get me OUT OF THERE! LOL Anyhoo, I've learned to embrace it and sorta take advantage of it when they offer help - besides, when both kids are running in opposite directions I can't help but request an extra hand or 5. 

ANYWAY

I decided to invest in my own tools since this is some serious work. Here's what I picked up:

Makita Angle Grinder - this baby was only about $40 bucks and can cut concrete and sand wood. NICE! It was a little frustrating to put together - the instructions even appeared to be in a "man talk" but once I guessed correctly I was in business.

Skil Lithium Screwdriver - this little fellow is a handheld electrical screwdriver - came with all the adjustments (the "+" and "-" adapters and a few others, just $32) SO EASY, LOVE IT. Wish I had this sucker when putting together all the baby crap. 

Massive Steel Tool Box - I had to get this thing. I have a few tools that seem to disappear to Roed Construction's jobs and I'm tired of losing them - I need them here for me. You can call me a hoarder, I don't care.

Some extra paint brushes and related tools for painting. I'm on a mission to get this house in shape.

So back to my project... Thankfully we had a random 6 foot ladder hanging out and I went at it.  For the exterior part I took a good old hammer and started swinging my heart out. AWESOME. FELT GREAT TO HIT SOMETHING SO HARD. About 1/2 way through I was sweating, heart racing, adrenaline pumping and then...the kids, they were bored. Out front, out back, right next to me...AHHHH GO INSIDE!!! Juggled them from time to time but for the most part they were ok (I ignored alot of fighting eeekkk they survived dont worry). So then I took my sweet little grinder, and began to cut around the window. I was burning through some wire, and our fire alarm went off from the smoke, I was a little freaked out but just took a break and went back for more.

All together this project took about 2 hours of blood (have 2 blood blisters that hurt like a mother on my hand), sweat and tears (yes honestly some tears, I had some stucco crash back into my eyes - OUCHIE!).

I'm just so proud of myself. I had very little guidance, absolutely zero help in moving and hauling anything.  

Construction aint no joke, but it aint just a man's job either.

Stay tuned...next up - I'm breaking down a wall.